Saturday, 7 February 2015

The Best 4 Bucks I Ever Spent

Silas' mother forgot to sign him up and pay for 'Booster Juice' day at Kindergarten. When you are five years old being left out because of a mother's oversight is cause for a major trauma and, perhaps, PTSD.

Dropping him at school this morning his mother reassured him all would be okay and then called me asking if I could get a Strawberry Sunshine Booster Juice and take it to Silas by 12:30.

Arriving at school there was no one in his classroom and most of the school was deserted. I saw a young boy about Silas' age and asked if he might know Silas and where he might be. I got a terse "on the playground" in reply and went back out.

The schools use volunteer mother's as playground monitors and I quickly located one and asked if she might know a 5 year old named, Silas, 5 years old, big for his age. I didn't expect she would with the hundreds of kids there but she laughed and said she did and that Silas hung out at the tire swing at recess. She walked me there.

Of course the boy lit up when he saw me. I looked at him, looked at the drink in my hand, and said, "Beets, spinach, and avocado, right?" A fleeting moment of panic crossed his face and then he laughed. "Grandpaaaa."

"Where does it, go?"

"You can put it at my spot in the classroom."

"Buddy, I don't know where your spot is."

The playground monitor chimed in, "I can show you."

Silas piped up, "I will."

Together we walked back to the school building seemingly meeting every single one of Silas' kindergarten classmates.

"Hi, Tia, this is my Grandpa." "Hi, Billy, this is my Grandpa." 

On and on until I must have met them all.

We deposited his drink at his seat and started back out. "Thanks, Grandpa."

"You are welcome, Silas. I love you."

Silas looked around and seeing no one he hugged me and said, "I love you too, Grandpa."

That was the best four bucks I ever spent.

February 6, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment