Saturday, 7 February 2015

How Did My Friends Get So Old?

Ouch. That is going to cost me. I don't have a long distance plan for phone calls into the USA and I just spent an hour on the phone talking to a friend. I may have to beg on a street corner to pay for that one.

Pastor Ken in Pennsylvania is 65 today. I know that because Pastor Ken used to be Missionary Ken, the director of the Native Bible Institute here. He was also my very, very close friend for many years. He moved back to the US a long time ago and we are not as close as we once were. Maintaining long distance friendships is hard. I do miss him and I miss the time we shared together over the years and I wish I could see him.

Another friend is having a birthday on next Tuesday. He is my best friend. I have known him for coming up on 43 years now. We'll celebrate his number 72 by doing what we always do on Tuesday mornings, going for coffee. I have offered to buy him breakfast that day too. I mean, after 43 years of friendship buying him an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's doesn't see too extravagant, does it?

I can't give you him his name. He is an unassuming guy and wouldn't want it spread around that TUESDAY IS HIS 72ND BIRTHDAY.

I cannot tell you how much my friendship with 65 year old Pastor Ken and with my 72 year old unnamed friend have enriched my life. I would be so much poorer without these men in my life. I love them both dearly I and I am unashamed to admit it.


The only thing I don't understand is how I wound up with friends that old!

February 5, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment