Thursday, 21 February 2013

We'll Have A Gay Old Time


So, trivia buffs, what is the movie playing at the drive-in theatre during the closing credits of The Flintstones? The Monster.

Knowing that won me a trivia contest at WCAU Radio back in 1972 in the days when 'CAU was 'all talk radio' and the evening shifts were hosted by Sol Weinstein from 10:00 p.m.to 2:00 ia.m. and by Ron Owens from 2:00 to 6:00. I listened to Weinstein every night all through high school and cried the night he left radio.
When I moved out west in 1972 I could no longer get WCAU in spite of it being a 50,000 watt clear radio station.

It has been over 40 years now but I can still do their station breaks for them.

"This is WCAU in Philadelphia. The numbers to call are Mohawk 7-0500, Woodlawn 3-5909, or Tennyson 9-6790."

I told you I listened every night.

Those numbers have stayed with me all those years. Ask me my drivers license number and I have to look in my wallet though.

It has been another day from hell. Mother's turn to be really sick again. For a month she has complained of pain. First in her groin, then in her hip, finally in her calf. Yesterday her calf was swollen and today the results were back - deep vein thrombosis. Two clots in her legs. One in the calf and one in her thigh.

Of course convincing her she created this problem by sitting on her skinny butt in a chair for hours on end is nigh on impossible and that was what she did for a solid month on her last downhill slide.

So now it is a week of going to the hospital every day for 8 days and getting blood thinning injection and 8 months of warfarin and 8 months of wearing surgical hose once we can find one that will fit her.
And, of course, hold our breath for a couple weeks.

So there you have it, another episode in As the Stomach Churns.

No comments:

Post a Comment