Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Executive Quits Fast Track To Spend More Time With Possessions

Mind is the forerunner of all things. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.
Mind is the forerunner of all things. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.
Dhammapada vs 1-2
Oh, boy!

I have mentioned before that I seldom watch television. I am not sure that people believe me when I say it. After all, everyone watches television I am often told. Except me. I really seldom watch it.

Since May 15 I have watched 2 hours of Michael Palin's Himalaya series, 1 hour of a presidential debate, and 3 hours the night of the recent U.S. election. That's it. Just 5 hours in six months.
My parents watch quite a bit of television. Mom has her shows she watches on the television in the living room in the evening. Dad likes different shows and watches them in the bedroom. Of course they also have shows they watch together both in the living room and in the bedroom after they go to bed.

The other day Dad put HDTV on the big set in the living room. I had a look. I must say it is very impressive. If I was a TV watcher I'd probably get HD.

Putting in HD gave him an extra digital box that had been bought and paid for and now served no purpose. He proudly gave it to me because it was only $1.98 a month extra to go digital and I would get way more channels. It wasn't something I could really refuse. Especially since he dragged along the cable technician who had set his HD to install the digital on my television.

So here I am. Instead of getting the 40 channels I was getting before, I now have over 250 that I don't watch.

(Originally posted to Multiply November 7, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment