Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Come, Take A Walk With Me

I was telling a couple of people here about a new trail I had found and wanted to get some photographs of but I have been unable to get back up to it until today.

The river front trail system here winds around both sides of the Fraser River. On the east side which I usually walk and most often photograph, the train meanders along both the Fraser and Quesnel Rivers. On the west side which I
seldom walk, it follows along the Fraser River and Baker Creek. On this other side the trail goes up and over a ridge to get down to where it follows the creek.

The other day I discovered a trail running through the woods where it crosses this ridge and found a wonderful walk where this new trial runs along the top of this ridge for miles and miles back into the wilderness of Baker Creek.

The climb up there, however, is a killer. The first time I did it I was not sure my legs would handle it. It climbs, and climbs, and climbs. I finally made it and got back in there a fair distance but I stopped when I realized how very slippery it was, how remote it was back there, how many bear tracks there were, and that I had neglected to tell anyone where I was going.

I tried to get back up that ridge twice more but it has warmed up, the frost had melted, and the mud had become so slick I simply could not get traction to climb up there.

Today I tried again. It was very, very hard. It was very slick, The mud was gumbo and made that steep climb nearly impossible but I did manage to get up there a ways before giving up once I allowed myself to think about how the hell I was going to get down out of their in that slick mud.

So, here are a few photos. Hopefully we will get a hard frost before it snows and I will be able to get way up and back in there again. If not, it will have to wait until next summer.
 
 






















(Originally posted to Multiply November 22, 2008)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment