Friday, 24 August 2012

Book Review: The Gathering

Genre:  Literature & Fiction
Author: Ann Enright
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars

"A dazzling writer of international stature, Anne Enright is one of Ireland's most singular voices. Now she delivers The Gathering, a moving, evocative portrait of a large Irish family haunted by the past. The nine surviving children of the Hagerty clan are gathering in Dublin for the wake of their wayward brother, Liam, who drowned in the sea. His sister, Veronica, collects the body and keeps the dead man company, guarding the secret she shares with him - something that happened in their grandmother's home in the winter of 1968. As Enright traces the line of betrayal and redemption through three generations, she shows how memories warp and secrets fester."
Winner of the 2007 Booker Prize this book just did not resonate with me. Clearly brilliantly written I could not find anything in it that touched me or gripped me and I struggled with this to the end that couldn't come soon enough.

It is all about mind states and doubtless if I were to try this again maybe my opinion would change. I just couldn't be bothered to try. Your millage will probably vary.

(Originally posted to Multiply October 16, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment